The Interstellar Initiative
Collaboration is key to truly innovative scientific discoveries and advancement. There is a critical need to promote and support the intersection of ideas across international boundaries and disciplines, in particular among early career scientists. The Interstellar Initiative ― presented jointly by the Japan Agency for Medical Research and Development and The New York Academy of Sciences ― recognizes the world’s most promising Early Career Investigators from around the world and connects them with peers, in related but distinct disciplines, providing a platform for them to develop a solution to a major research question. Their efforts will be guided by Mentors who are established scientists at the peak of their respective disciplines. The aim is to foster interdisciplinary collaboration and thereby catalyze discovery.
This is a remarkable opportunity for Early Career Investigators to: (i) receive expert guidance from leading senior scientists on the preparation of a compelling research proposal; (ii) network with exceptional researchers from around the world; and (iii) build international research collaborations.
- March 4, 2021, 10:00 AM EST: The application period opens.
- May 24, 2021, 11:59 PM EDT (May 25, 2021, 12:59 PM JST): The application period closes.
- July 2021: Investigators selected to participate in the Interstellar Initiative are notified.
- August 2021: Virtual Orientation and Networking session for accepted participants and mentors.
- July 2021–early September, 2021: ECIs matched and grouped into teams.
- September 10 – 12, 2021: Interstellar Initiative conference convenes virtually.
- September 2021 – February 2022: Teams continue to develop their research proposals.
- November 1, 2021: Announcement whether February workshop will be virtual or in person.
- February 24 – 25, 2022: Follow up workshop convenes in New York City
Applicants in Japan must submit their application to e-Rad portal (www.e-rad.go.jp/en/) as well.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.